Town of Elmira. Municipal Council
|Record Creator||Town of Elmira. Municipal Council|
|Dates of Existence||1887-1972|
|Other Names||Village of Elmira Municipal Council, 1887-1922|
|Function||The Elmira Municipal Council was responsible for governing and providing municipal and financial services between 1887 and 1972. A reeve and deputy-reeve were elected and sat on council to govern and mange the administration of the municipality. After its incorporation as a town in 1923 a mayoral position was created. The mayor sat on council and functioned as the elected head of the Town of Elmira. Council was responsible for making decisions about municipal finances and services, such as roads, water, and land.|
|Administrative History or Biography||
The Elmira Municipal Council was established in 1887 when it was incorporated as a village under the 1849 Baldwin Act. The council consisted of 5-10 members, including the reeve, deputy-reeve and councillors. Councillors were elected from each of the three wards in Elmira. Council as a whole functioned as a regulating body, passing by-laws, regulating funds and dispersing monies into the community for economic and social programs.
Council members divided themselves into committees for different municipal functions. This eased the burden on the central body. These were called standing committees and focused on the daily requirements of the municipality, for example, the Committee of Adjustment, Unemployment Relief Committee and Elmira Planning Board.
With the establishment of regional government in 1973, the Town of Elmira Municipal Council, as a governing body, was incorporated into the larger Township of Woolwich.
|Subordinate Agency||Click here to see a list of Subordinate Agencies|
|Key People||Click here to See Key People|
|Records created by this Authority:||Click here|