Town of New Hamburg. Police Department
|Record Creator||Town of New Hamburg. Police Department|
|Dates of Existence||1858-1972|
|Administrative History or Biography||
The first constable in New Hamburg was appointed in 1858 when the village was incorporated. Jonathan Chipman administered liquor laws and also acted as town foreman. The first Chief of Police was Ed Scherer who was assisted by Constable Alois Haunn. After World War II, George Thomas was hired as a night man and was given the first police office in town located on the second floor of the fire hall. George Thomas became chief when Ed Scherer retired. George was assisted by Constable Carl Widmeyer.
Under the leadership of Chief Alfred Bland, the New Hamburg Police Department obtained a police cruiser. It was a 1953 dark blue Ford coach without any flashers or sirens. In 1958, the first brand new police cruiser was purchased, an ivory white 1958 Ford with flashers, siren and municipal crest on the doors.
The final chief in the Town of New Hamburg was Nyle Soehner, formerly a sergeant with the Waterloo Township Police Department. Soehner was chief in 1972, the year before the New Hamburg Police Department was succeeded by the Waterloo Regional Police Service. After regionalization, Soehner became a Sergeant in Patrol of the Kitchener area.
|Subordinate Agency||Click here to see a list of Subordinate Agencies|
|Successor||Regional Municipality of Waterloo. Waterloo Regional Police Service|
|Key People||Click here to See Key People|
|Records created by this Authority:||Click here|