Regional Municipality of Waterloo. Greenbrook Pumping Station
|Record Creator||Regional Municipality of Waterloo. Greenbrook Pumping Station|
|Dates of Existence||1899-present|
|Other Names||Shoemaker Ave, 1899-1965|
|Function||The Greenbrook Water Supply System includes five water supply wells, a water treatment facility, water storage reservoirs and a pumping station. The wells withdraw water from underground aquifers. This water is treated and distributed through the pumping station which ensures consistent and reliable water pressures to the citizens of Kitchener.|
|Administrative History or Biography||
Greenbrook Station was called Shoemaker Ave. until 1965. It is located next to Shoemaker Lake on Greenbrook Drive which was the first water source used by waterworks in Berlin (Kitchener). In 1899 wells were created at the site in order to use ground instead of surface water. The station has been used continuously since 1899; however during 1912-1913 the original steam-powered pump-house was replaced with a new building and electric pumps. In 1930 a Ruston diesel engine and generator were installed to replace the previous gasoline engine used as a reserve power supply. A two-million gallon reservoir was also added by 1938. The buildings were redone again in the 1960s. The Kitchener Water Commission (1899-1972) tried to enhance the value of Shoemaker Station by adding landscaping and decorations to the site such as thousands of pine seedlings planted in the 1920s. The site still operates but is now fully automated. It is designated as a protected Ontario Heritage Building.
Greenbrook previously acted as an administrative centre for waterworks in Kitchener. As a result, records concerning other water sites in Kitchener were stored at Greenbrook. This administrative unit maintains all of the records that were stored at Greenbrook until they were transferred to the Archives.
|Subordinate Agency||Click here to see a list of Subordinate Agencies|
|Records created by this Authority:||Click here|